Tuesday, August 17, 2010

What was I thinking

I'm about to begin a 106-day stay in Hong Kong. At a Christian university, studying Mandarin, China and its politics, the social life of the Chinese, and understanding mainland China and it relationship with Hong Kong.
I'll be doing the easy stuff, learning Mandarin in the heartland of the Cantonese speaking world. It'll be easy, as I've no Cantonese to speak of and a tiny smattering of Mandarin. I'll be studying politics, and sociology through a Baptist university. Did I mention that I'm not a Baptist. It'll be easy.
Most of the students at the university will be at least 30 years younger than me.
Also I've never been outside of Australia by myself. [Thanks, Jenne + Greer, for being the direction finders in Osaka. If not, I'd still be wondering around the copse of shops in the underground shopping malls.]
Travelling with one camera [my old shaky Panasonic], no phone, and a little blog. This one.
I'm thinking that a picture a day will keep people up to date.
Did I mention that I've never been to Hong Kong before?
Anyway five sleeps to go before the hejira from Wollongong begins.
And William Shakespear said, absence from those we love is self from self, a deadly banishment. I'm banished to an isle, with only Prospero and Miranda [and the God of Shopping] to guide me.

No comments:

Post a Comment