Saturday, August 28, 2010

Buddhists and profits



Coming off the Star Ferry to Admiralty [I love the lasting English pervasiveness of the city names and places] I was approached by an elderly Buddhist [well he had the saffron robes and sandals] with a card, Kai guang Amu let. He offered wrist beads and asked for a donation. On seeing the $50 he asked for one. I offered a $20 [about $3Aus] and left the beads.

I wonder when Siddharta Gautama [Buddha] said, You have no cause for anything but gratitude and joy, he envisaged elderly Buddhists seeking funds from tourists. Anyway the old Buddha smiled and left me lighter. So I bought two small 牛肉包子 [nuirou baozi] and an orange drink for a light lunch.

Atop are the buildings -- an old Hong Kong off Shanghai Street in Yau Tei Ma district and the shiny towers -- ICBS and Bank of China Tower on Hong Kong Island. This district is another Mecca to the mighty customer.

I see the Hong Kong Shanghai Banking Corporation posted a HK$62,827 million (about $9,105 million Aus) profit for 2009/2010. It is a hard working city / port.

No comments:

Post a Comment