Thursday, September 9, 2010

Shellfish and Asahi




Today was a full day -- two hours of Mandarin, two hours of China and Politics, and an hour of Understanding Mainland China and Hong Kong. Also time spent in the library with other students who will presenting on the ideologies of China and nationalism and how these have influenced China's foreign policy.
I'm going to have a quick Japanese meal and an Asahi before retiring. Although not on campus as the univeristy is dry ground.
I also spoke with my second son, Nat. He's deliberating over whether to spend time in Finland or Sweden on an international exchange. A real dilemma.
Two pictures today - one of me with the Soong Hall students. I don't think I stand out that much. I didn't wear the yellow shirt. And one of shellfish and slowly drowning scampi at the Night Markets in Temple Street. Despite the fragrant surrounds, the shellfish is fresh and the dishes are quite flavoursome. The beer, Yanjing, the Premium Draft Beer of China, has a light flavour of hops. Not bitter at all.
And then it's to bed. To be woken at about 2am by the returning domestic students. And my 10th floor mosquitos. I'll buy the repellant tomorrow.
This is from ee cummings. an American poet.
here is the deepest secret nobody knows
(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud
and the sky of the sky of a tree called life; which grows
higher than the soul can hope or mind can hide)
and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart
i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart)
He never used a capital. Like Cormac McCarthy doesn't use quote marks.


No comments:

Post a Comment